The history of New Philadelphia is rich and varied.
New Philadelphia, Ohio is founded by John Knisley, a business owner from Pennsylvania.
Knisley aids in creation of Tuscarawas County. His influence and contributions help establish New Philadelphia as the County Seat.
Company creates canal to connect Tuscarawas River with the Ohio-Erie Canal opening up trade routes.
New Philadelphia courthouse has cornerstone ceremony. Building still operates today and is on the National Register of Historic Buildings.
Begins with 5 schools and over 1,200 students.
Crowd of over 1,000 comes to enjoy the new park with many amusements and activities available.
Famous downtown New Philadelphia sign lit as part of homecoming celebration.
Devastating flood brings the area to a halt with over $1 Million in property damage.
Library originally under the Board of Education, but in 1948 the Library District was established to manage it.
The launch of this website is significant.
Are you ready to dive deeper into New Philadelphia, Ohio’s history? Then check out some of these local organizations.